Hamas Reaffirms Gaza Disarmament Pledge in Kushner Talks
news

Hamas Reaffirms Gaza Disarmament Pledge in Kushner Talks

By Editorial TeamAug 17, 2026 · 8:08 AM3 min read
AI-generated representative image: A formal diplomatic meeting room, illustrating high-level talks over the Gaza ceasefire and disarmament roadmap.
Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Direct Hamas-Kushner meeting in Egypt seeks to lock in July ceasefire and demilitarization commitment as Israel rejects the US-backed roadmap

Hamas has reaffirmed its commitment to disarm and demilitarize Gaza during direct talks with Jared Kushner, US President Donald Trump's adviser and son-in-law, Axios reported on Sunday, citing a source familiar with the matter. The 90-minute in-person meeting in Egypt brought Kushner together with Hamas political chief Khalil al-Hayya to solidify a pledge the group first made in late July.

The talks represent a rare direct engagement between a senior Trump administration figure and Hamas leadership, and they come as the fate of the Gaza peace plan hangs in the balance. Israel has rejected the framework, while regional powers are pressing Washington to secure its implementation. The outcome could determine whether disarmament, troop withdrawals, and reconstruction move forward or stall.

Key Developments in the Talks

During the meeting, Kushner told al-Hayya that Hamas must take "tangible steps on disarmament if they want Israel to take steps of its own." Al-Hayya reportedly asked Kushner to convey to Trump that Hamas remains committed to relinquishing its weapons.

A source familiar with the discussions said the meeting was aimed at locking in a commitment rather than accepting verbal assurances alone. "We thanked them for the commitment, but we want to see real efforts [from Hamas] and not just words," the source stated. "It was important for Kushner to lock them into this commitment in person."

Kushner is expected to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday to discuss reciprocal measures. Last week, Netanyahu rejected the roadmap, insisting Israeli forces would not withdraw until Hamas was "genuinely disarmed."

Background of the Peace Roadmap

The pledge traces back to late July, when Trump announced that his Board of Peace, an international body he chairs to oversee implementation of his Gaza peace plan, had reached a "historic agreement" with Hamas. That agreement covered disarmament and the transfer of civilian and security control to a technocratic administration.

In exchange, the Board of Peace would press Israel to make corresponding moves, including initial troop withdrawals, while accelerating humanitarian relief and reconstruction. The plan has been endorsed by UN Security Council Resolution 2803.

Sunday's meeting was attended by Egyptian intelligence chief Hassan Rashad, Qatari diplomat Ali al-Thawadi, and a senior Turkish official, alongside Board of Peace representatives and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Official Statements and Regional Response

Following the meeting, Hamas confirmed in a statement that it remains committed to the roadmap, citing a permanent ceasefire, a full Israeli withdrawal, sustained aid, and reconstruction. However, the group did not explicitly mention disarmament in that statement.

On the same day, the foreign ministers of Türkiye, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE issued a joint statement condemning Israel's rejection of the peace framework and Palestinian statehood. The eight countries said Israel bears "direct and full responsibility" for obstructing peace efforts and urged active US involvement in implementing the plan.

What Lies Ahead

Kushner's scheduled Monday meeting with Netanyahu is expected to focus on reciprocal measures that could respond to any concrete Hamas steps on disarmament. For now, the plan remains stalled by Israel's refusal to withdraw forces until Hamas is genuinely disarmed, while Hamas insists on a permanent ceasefire and full Israeli withdrawal. Further confirmation on whether tangible disarmament actions will follow has not yet been announced.

MORE LIKE THIS

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

A verified Gmail account is required to post comments.

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts!